Stitch a pillow that's sure to become an epic heirloom! Worked in a classic bargello pattern that creates a mesmerizing optional illusion, this technicolor pillow will steal the show in any room.
Choose from a fiery palette of maroon, coral and yellow (which looks AMAZING on grey or neutral furniture!) or a cool-warm palette of blue, orange and yellow (which is gorgeous in blue decor schemes, among many others!) This kit is also available as a custom option, allowing you to choose your own colors - or as an instant-download PDF pattern.
Worked on needlepoint canvas and finished by adding a fabric backing with a sewing machine, this in-depth project will provide many hours of stitching enjoyment and years of "where did you get that amazing pillow?!" compliments!
Not into sewing or don't need a pillow? You can also frame the finished bargello panel and display it as graphic wall art!
*Please note, this kit will make the bargello FRONT of a pillow only. You'll need to add 1 yard of any fabric of your choice to use for the back of the pillow. Basic machine sewing is required to attach the backing and finish the pillow.
Skill level: Intermediate bargello skills + basic machine sewing skills
Finished size: Makes a 16" finished pillow
Materials included with kit:
- 27 skeins DMC Tapestry Wool (not included with custom kit option)
- 12-count needlepoint canvas
- 3 Tapestry Needles
- Large format pattern booklet including charts, easy-to-follow instructions and how to bargello guide
- Packaged in our size large reusable HELLO BARGELLO zipper project bag!
Also required (not included): 16" pillow form, 1 yard medium-weight fabric (such as canvas or denim) for the backing, 4 buttons or snaps.
TO CHOOSE YOUR OWN COLORS
Want to to select your own custom colors for this kit? Awesome! Here's how it works:
- Add this kit to your cart, selecting the "No Wool Included / Choose Your Colors" option above.
- Head on over to the Tapestry Wool section of our online shop and browse for the colors that suit your fancy! Simply select the colors you want and add them to your cart.
- For this kit, you will need (see "Color Key" photo above):
- Colors A - C: 4 skeins each
- Colors D - F: 3 skeins each
- Colors G - I: 2 skeins each
- This will be a total of 27 skeins.
- Double check your cart to be sure you've added the "choose your own colors" kit and a total of 27 skeins of tapestry wool, then complete checkout. We'll build your custom kit and ship it right out to you! Yay!
- Share your project photos on Instagram and tag us @hellobargello because we CANNOT WAIT to see your original creation!
PATTERN ERRATA / UPDATE
This update is for customers with a versions of the Songbird pattern purchased before July, 2020. This update has already been included in the PDF and printed versions of this pattern as of July, 2020:
In the Songbird pattern booklet, the instructions state that the finished size of the bargello surface area will be 16” square. In fact, the finished size of the bargello surface area will be 17” tall x 16.5” wide. The needlepoint canvas included with the kit is 20” x 20”. Before beginning your stitches, measure a 17” x 16.5” area roughly centered on the canvas, and position your stitches within this area, leaving a border of blank canvas around the bargello area on all sides. (Note, the bargello does not need to be exactly centered on the canvas, the goal is just to have at least 1” of blank canvas around the stitched area. This excess canvas will be trimmed later during sewing and finishing.) If you have any questions before beginning please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org.